Harley Davidson is an American motorcycle manufacturer that has been producing American made motorcycles since 1903. It is actually one of two motorcycle manufacturers in the United States that was able to survive the Great Depression as well as compete with popular Japanese manufacturers. In 1920, the Harley Davidson motorcycle manufacturing company was the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world! With a motorcycle manufacturing company that has been around for over a century, it is no doubt that they have produced a great variety of types of Harley Davidson motorcycles. Here are some of the different kinds of Harley Davidson motorcycles that have been produced and manufactured over the years.
There are six different model families that a Harley Davidson motorcycle can be part of. They are the touring model, the softail model, the dyna model, the sportster model, the vrod model and the street model.
1. The touring model. The touring model includes Road King, Street Glide, Electra Glide and the Road Glide. This type of model can have anything from looking like a retro cruiser with large windshields to ones that have a unique headlight and a frame-mounted fairing.
2. The softail model. The softail models are very traditional models of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. These models have a rear wheel suspension that is kept hidden under the transmission as well as a big twin engine.
3. The dyna model. The dyna model frames of a Harley Davidson motorcycle came about in the 1980s and came onto the motorcycle market officially in 1991. They have big twin engines as well as traditional styling with a coil over suspension that links the frame with the swingarm.
4. The sportster model. The sportster model of a Harley Davidson motorcycle came about in the 1950s and was designed as a racing motorcycle. They are different from many other models of Harley Davidson motorcycles because they are smaller and lighter than most models of motorcycles. The engine of a sportster model is connected to the frame until the 2003 model where the frame was redesigned.
5. The vrod model. The vrod model in the Harley Davidson motorcycle family has little resemblance to any of the traditional models. It came about in 2001 and was made in order to face the heavy competition that was coming in from Japanese ‘crotch rockets’. The vrod or vrsc models also have an anti lock braking system that was added into them in 2008.
6. The street model. The final model that makes up the Harley Davidson motorcycle family includes the street model, which is the newest model in the Harley Davidson motorcycle lineup. The street model was designed in order to attract a younger crowd and are the lightest model in the Harley Davidson motorcycle lineup. This model just came out within the past year and became available at the end of 2014.
As you can see, there are many different models, styles and sizes of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. There are traditional motorcycle models as well as motorcycle models that have been created in order to keep up with the competition from other manufacturers.